Low Blood Pressure
The tension, or blood pressure, is the force exerted by blood against the walls of arteries. The hypotension is characterized by an abnormal low
blood pressure. We talk about hypotension when the systolic pressure is below 100 mm Hg (10 cm of mercury) instead of 120 to 140 mm of mercury for a normal tension.
Hypotension can be revealed by fatigue, dizziness when standing, defective hearing, blurred vision, heat flashes, and also pain in the legs. At full extent, it can defuse the heart pump during a collapse. People of all ages can experience symptoms of hypotension occasionally, including healthy young adults. People over the age of 65 are still those who suffer the most. In 20% of the cases, the phenomenon occurs regularly and can have many causes. It is therefore important to consult a physician in order to find the cause. Pregnant women face a higher risk.
Among the symptoms we notice the followings:
- General weakness
- Blurred vision
- Fast and irregular heartbeat
- Fainting or syncope
The risk of hypotension is higher among elder persons, pregnant women and people with heart problems, varicose veins, diabetes and Parkinson's disease.
The main causes of hypotension, although not yet fully known, may be:
- A dehydration (as a result of diarrhea or gastroenteritis, for example)
- A genetic predisposition to have a low tension. Note: in this case it is not always a negative point (sometimes it will have positive effects on the cardiovascular system)
- Serious injury, internal bleeding, allergy, a snake bite, a heart attack .-. in these cases we are facing a medical emergency.
- Problems of the thyroid gland (hypothyroidism, hyperthyroidism)
- Liver problems
To prevent hypotension we should consider the following advices:
- Upon awakening, take a few minutes to stretch and sit on the edge of the bed before getting up
- Drink regularly to avoid dehydration.
- Even in moderation, alcohol can be an important factor to increase the risk of hypotension.
- When sitting, avoid crossing your legs: it will cause pressure on the veins and make it difficult for blood circulation.
PRODUCTS RELATED TO THIS SYMPTOM